Friday, February 27, 2009

Oh Rolling Stones - "My life would suck with out you"...











Last night while getting ready my Itunes was typically playing to keep up my "weekend" mood. I'll willingly admit my songs are extremely random and can hop from the Beatles to Bob Dylan to T.I and Jewel. But as my songs "shuffled" I realized how absurd today's music is compared to the legends of the 60's , 70's, 80's and even the 90's. I've always been a fan of Bob Dylan, I remember my dad playing his "Like a Rolling Stone" in the car on my way to my first day of middle school. I didn't understand it then, or why this song was a "hit" compared to my favorite of the time Ashanti and Jarules "where would I be without you". And now, I get it, I actually get it. Lets just take a look at Bob Dylans lyrics of "Just like A Rolling Stone" to the new number 1 of 2009, Kelly Clarksons "My life would suck with-out you". First and foremost - just look at the titles and you tell me what your first impression is, this is our generations "classics" - sad.






"Once upon a time you dressed so fine

You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?

People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"

You thought they were all kiddin' you

You used to laugh about Everybody that was hangin' out

Now you don't talk so loud

Now you don't seem so proud

About having to be scrounging for your next meal.
How does it feel

How does it feel

To be without a home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?"




When you read this, you feel for him, you connect with this "complete unknown" and how their life changed in the blink of an eye. His lyrics tell a story a story that is creatively told through metaphor and poetry. Dylan captures his audience in the mear 4 minutes of voice to ear by involving the listener, asking how it feels and furthermore evoking questions in our own minds. His lyrics actually form words of wisdom, advice and emotion. Its intriguing that a man can take a lonely feeling and compare it to the decent of a rolling stone. Legends such as Dylan create songs with melody accompanied by lyrics that sound more like poetry as opposed to a desperate overpopulated pop song.









Now lets look at Kelly Clarkson...




"You’re standing at my door

Guess this means you take back what you said before

Like how much you wanted anyone but me

Said you’d never come back but here you are again

Cuz we belong together now forever united here somehow

You got a piece of me

And honestly - My life would suck without you"









Ok...first of all, this guy that she supposedly "belongs with forever" left her and told her he wanted anyone other than her - in real life if someone previously involved in a relationship said that to their partner do you really think they would welcome them back with open arms? I know I wouldnt. the fact that she is A) actually taking him back and B) assuming they are destined is funny. She uses the word "like" in her lyrics to describe what he said - that isnt even proper english. Her ending line is "my life would suck without you" I'm sorry but this is sad. I will admit, I actually like the tune, i've sang along with her it is rather... catchy, but when I take a look at her "words of wisdom" as portrayed in her lyrics its more like a pathetic settlement with a guy who treated her badly then poetic advice- it makes me a little...well - nautious.
W

2 comments:

  1. I'VE BEEN RANTING ABOUT THIS FOR WEEKS - what the hell kind of message are we sending to young women?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a possible story here ... no, not why Kelly Clarkson sucks but about the messages being sent out in popular culture.

    ReplyDelete