Thursday, March 19, 2009

But You Ain't Ever Had My Cornbread!



"But you ain't ever had my cornbread...A little bit of heaven, and a little bit of aw yeah!"
- Dave Matthews Band






With this blasting in my ear just a moment ago I became extremely hungry and in the mood for some old fasioned cornbread... just like my mom makes. However, With my recent ambition to "eat healthy" I knew this wouldnt be the best "health food" to choose for my mid morning snack. But don't you worry, for all you cornbread lovers out there I've found a solution! A recipe for a low-fat, oil free, apple cornbread - fresh from the oven. Enjoy!


Ingrediants

1 red delicious apple (it can be overripe)
1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/2 blue corn meal
4 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. sucanat (or other sugar)
2 1/4 cup vanilla lite rice milk, or low-fat soymilk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup apple sauce
Directions
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If you have a 10 inch iron skillet, rub some oil on the cooking surface, and let it heat in the oven. Peel apple and cut into very thin pieces of any size. In a large bowl, combine all other ingredients and then add apple. Do not overmix. Pour into heated iron skillet (or just oil a regular casserole pan, and don't bother to heat it), and bake 35 minutes on the top shelf. When an inserted knife comes out clean, it's done. You may want to let it rest for 10 or 20 minutes to let it settle and firm up, if you want, but that's not necessary. I found this to be a lot more moist than the usual recipe, but it was not at all soggy. Let me know what you think of it. Note: I only put in one apple, but it would probably taste better if you used 2. It may or may not need some more sweetener, like a tablespoon or two of maple syrup or something. I found it subtle, and a bit light. kwvegan vegan
Click Here For Other Great Recipes on..http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/cornbreads/apple-corn-bread

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this blog...any interest in exchanging links/followership?
    http://funfitnessfreshair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete